Monday, March 2, 2015

Pitch Madness: SJ17 - DESCENT

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal

Word Count: 105,000

Pitch: Em is hell-bent on proving her mother didn’t commit suicide. Suffering from inexplicable visions, Em defends her mom’s sanity when she isn’t even sure of her own. Paranormal VERONICA MARS meets THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE.
 
Excerpt: I am sitting in my truck.

Okay, so, that’s a lie. I’m *hiding in my truck.

And if hiding from my classmates was an Olympic sport, I’d have a gold medal, because, at the moment, it doesn’t seem like anyone has noticed me. I wonder how long it will last.

I take a deep breath. Then I feel what everyone keeps telling me is anxiety. Call it what you want- it just feels like a bee buzzing around in my ribcage, stinging the inside of my chest. Sucking down air usually helps; I suffocate the bee with oxygen.

Glancing around, I try not to look like a total sketchball. I wonder if anyone is paying attention to the nondescript blue truck in the farthest corner of the student parking section. But as I look, I spot a familiar blonde head, bobbing down the aisle of cars next to me. Apparently, someone is paying attention.

I swallow the stupid ache in my throat, praying it disappears soon. The irony of one person being my sole source of comfort and also serving as a razor that rips open barely-healed scars...

'Stop it, Em'. I cut myself off. Melodramatic thinking is not going to improve this demon hell-spawn of a day, or get the bee to disappear. 'So knock it off. '

Outside, my tiny blonde army-of-a-friend, barrels towards the truck like a five foot one, ninety-eight-pound rhinoceros. She pulls open the passenger door with zero effort and climbs into cab.

I take a breath, and wait for the inquisition.

 




post signature

5 comments: