Sunday, August 15, 2010

From the horse's mouth: What the YA's are saying about Mishca!

Originally I wrote basically to get things out of my head. Sometimes to deal with life, sometimes because an idea just kept nagging at me.  A friend of mine started reading my work and when she read Mishca I was told "You have to try and get this published!"

Then I found Inkpop and posted a portion of Mishca on the site, making Top Picks in June out of more than 25,000 pieces of work.  It was the feedback from there that made me confident that Mishca should get published.  It is these comments are straight from the horses mouth - my target market and potential buyers of Mishca - if I can get an agent and a publisher. The feedback also helps if I am feeling self doubt it is comments like these that will lift me up so please indulge my ego boosting session:

Barbie Jones: Amazing work. I didn't want to comment until I had finished the book and I must say I can't wait to see it published. It is definitely a page turner and your writing is amazing, it is like your with Mischa every step of the way. Good Luck! I wish you all the best!

Aikawarazu: First off: I adore the name Mischa, and your cover is absolutely beautiful! You are an amazing writer--if this were a book, I would definitely buy it. Everything about the writing is so real, and I feel as though I could get lost in it. Not once did I want to simply speed-read or glance over a part due to a loss of interest. Already I feel as though I can identify with Mischa in a lot of ways. It's a very interesting situation she's in, and she's a unique character. That little twist at the end of the first chapter definitely caught me by surprise, and further demanded my attention--it really changes the mood of the whole story! I'm excited to see what's in store for Mischa. This is going straight to the top of my reading list, and has definitely earned my pick! If I could reasonably read all of it tonight, I probably would! This is simply amazing--something to be proud of.

Lauren Ashley: Oh my gosh. You have such a way with words! Incredible. I love the setting, your characters, and everything! I also love how you left me wondering after each section what was going to happen....very unpredictable, and i like that. there are so many authors who leave me always figuring out what happens in the book, but you have a unique talent with that. I picked it! :) ... It's a great book! I can't wait to read it all over again when it is published! Let me know when it is, I will buy it! :) Very excellent job, again.

ShekinahGlory: Oh wow! I can see why this is number one in the Picks category! I just read chapter one, and already I'm captivated! First off, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how Mishca is adopted and doesn't know her historyAlso I love how you describe everything with a personal eye and use words and phrases that were very unique, yet such an obvious choice for success! I liked how you said her adoptive father was disappointed that he couldn't solve her heart problem with his physical prowess. Also, I like to see that Mishca and her mom are so close---my favorite line was: "Despite having very different blood flowing through our veins, we always seemed to be on the same wavelength." I want to know more about Wirth and Othilia so I can't wait to read chapter 2!!!! It was very intriguing how you said Wirth should be tired from jumping onto her roof, but he's not...so you implied he's not human. So what is he? The suspense is killing me! lol And he is fascinated with Mishca---is it love? or does he want her to join them and become one of them? And what process will she go through? Very good cliffhangers! I'm not going to stop reading but I figured I should comment on chapter one! Very good work and I hope your book gets published!

Sunnytragix: I was just going to read the first chapter, but I ended up reading straight through to fifteen. The writing is so engaging! And this is wondrously...different. I love that it's set in Australia. That's refreshing... Mishca's not the typical white main character (don't get me wrong, my whole family's paler than pale...it's just a nice change; again, refreshing). I love the unpredictability. I've read many books, so many that they fail to surprise me these days, but let me tell you, certain...events...were completely unexpected in this one. There were some fantastic twists. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that in a story. I didn't even realize there would be a fantasy/paranormal edge to it at first, so when that hit, I was stunned.

Bookbaby100: Fantastic job. You gave real feeling and personality to the scenes, characters and statements made. The loneliness that lurks in Mishca because of her lack of real friendship is conflicted beautifully with the love and care her family has for her. This story had some fantastic- very unexpected- twists in it! It gave the story an unique intrigue and captivation. I love Ryder, -he is definitely SWOON WORTHY(oops did i just admit that?)- and how blatant he is with his feelings for Mishca...(Can't wait for more!!!!!)

Aceforlife: Ah! No! Why?! It stopped right with Colin. Agh. Must. read. more. Yaa.. I think I might be a smidge addicted to this story.

Sammy_ashwrote: This is really, really good! I like the detail you write with, totally makes it easy for me to picture it all. And I love Mischa's character, too. And like sunnytragix said, it's really cool that it's set in Australia! It really deserves to be #1. =)

Katherine187: I seriously love this! You are an awesome writer and this story is seriously addicting. I love how it is in Australian first off because it is so different from anything else I have read. Mishca is definitely one of those characters that readers can relate to, minus the heart transplant aspect of course. This is great and I am so glad that I read it! Keep up the good work!

dellafiora3395: Like so many other people that have commented on this, I had the intention of reading the first chapter... Yeah, that didn't happen. I made it through the entire thing. I'm pretty much in love with this! The characters are so interesting, the plot's quite different from what I've read on the rest of InkPop, and there are plot twists and turns to keep it exciting. I surely see why this is the current rank 1. Great job!

Glo: WOW! I absolutely love it! I mean not like I was expecting to NOT love it, but I mean I REALLY LOVE it!!! =D I was originally going to read only 2 chapters then maybe go practice some guitar, but I couldn't stop!! I can SO see this one on the shelves and I'm so happy that it made it to the top of the top 5, Congrats! And it is SO hilarious!! Mind you I only made it to chapter 6 (10:20pm on a stinking school night. grrrrr.) I laughed until the abs hurt and the tears started to flow at the beginning of chapter 6 when you said "he moved towards me and slashed at my face with... a feather duster?" it was so intense and epic and it turned into a really hilarious joke. I love it! I also love how Trista just invited herself to the party. Too funny! XD I think this book can really make it places with the right advertising. Thank you SO much for sharing it! ... I, like sunnytragix, also love the fact that it's placed in Australia. I love Australia. Never been, but I still love it. Their accents are to DIE for! I have to say, I am completely in love with the book. <3

http://inkpop.com/
Alex R: I wish that I had read this when you first asked to me way back when. You're plot is so real for me and I can actually feel mad or sad about your characters doing something. I must admit that "Ded" threw me when i first read it, but I really like it now. And Australia, how many books are set there? I love it. This is by far my favorite story I've read on this website. Amazing job.

In a daze: Wow. I love this already. Brilliant that it's set in Australia. I haven't read many books that take place there, though I'm not really sure why. It's a beautiful country. I also like that Mischa herself is a rather, hmm, special of sorts. She's not your typical YA MC.(I mean that in a nice way =D) This is so unique, though quite sad from her point of view. Her poor 'parents', I can't imagine having to go through such a thing. Mischa is very strong for being able to relax them from their worries and being able to reassure herself as well. =) The end of the first chapter is very mysterious as well, interesting... I shall now read more. I will pick ASAP, probably after I finish and can comment once again. Awesome job. No wonder it's Ranked 1.
In a dazw again:WHOA. WAIT. WHAT???!!!!! =OOOOOO OMG. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why, Mischa, why?! D= Uh, uh,---- aah!!! Sorry for the outburst, but I just finished it, and don't want to ruin it for whoever else wants to read it, but, how coul you? D= It's a twist, I love eet, but AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME story.  You better write more. ^.^

ForensicPathology: That was astonishing. Your writing is incredible, and your premise is very fresh, which is a rare thing to come by nowadays. Your flow is wonderful as well. You left me hanging on the last word, and I definitely plan on reading further. I'm not sure what I can tell you that others have yet to, but it seems you definitely deserve your rank.

ShoSHNAZZYdood: oh, my gosh this book is flipping incredible! i saw it on the top 5 and the name alone drew me in (i'm a stickler for cool book titles) so i started to read it and i can safely say, "DANG!" like, surely. your book was, like, flipping amazing and i couldn't help but read more and more! so i read more and more. and more. innyhoo, this is the first thing i read from you and i can only hope there's more to come in the future! BIG WOOP, DOOD! (:

 
And if you made it to the end of all that - thanks! When I am reaching my YA market and they give me feedback like this it just makes me want to strive harder, writer better and write more.  I hope that soon an agent will have the belief in my story as so many members of Inkpop did and work with me to get Mishca onto the shelves.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, SM! I'm new to the blog, but see you on InkPop often and am really impressed not just with your writing -- though I'm going to have to dig into Mishca now!!! -- but also with how helpful you are in encouraging all the young, aspiring writers there. And not just with constant praise like so many do, but with positive, realistic and fair constructive criticism. I think if an agent could see not only these glowing comments but your profile at IP, you'd be a shoe-in!!!

    ReplyDelete